Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why I don't "Do" Black Friday

Share/Save/Bookmark 

It seems every other post on the social networks lately has been about Black Friday. The biggest shopping day of the year, and in many instances, the biggest savings of the year. Well, on Black Friday, I'll be working on my holiday lenses and writings, and trying to find great deals to show you on my blogs. Why, you may ask, don't I participate in Black Friday?

I realize that with blogs, owners are supposed to be cheerful and upbeat, and I usually am! Even in the case of Black Friday, I think it's wonderful that businesses enjoy one day of sales unlike any other. I think it is wonderful that people save money on the items they want. I think it's great that a lot of people enjoy the thrill of the hunt. That, my friends is where it stops.

Too many times I have seen otherwise kind people actually fight for parking spaces. We are talking straight out of "Fried Green Tomatoes" here. TOWANDA! Only, it's not always funny. I have seen elderly people have to walk from the back of parking lots while young, healthy people take advantage  of the "good" spots. By the same token, I have seen handicapped people pushed out of the way so that someone could grab that last popular gaming system. One of the worse things I have encountered too many times is the crying young child who is dragged along through stores with his mother angrily saying "COME ON!" As a grandmother, I can tell you that this memory is going to be as important, if not more-so, than what they find on Christmas morning.

So, my friends, I will take advantage of Cyber Monday, but you all are welcome to Black Friday. If I may impart some advice to everyone braving the conditions on Friday; Relax, it's not the end of the world if you don't get exactly what you want. Saving money is not worth losing integrity and thoughtfulness. Are you eye-balling a gift, maybe the last one in stock, along with someone else? I would humbly suggest that you grab the gift, look at the other person, smile, and hand it over to them. Yes, you may lose a fantastic deal, but the feeling you will get may very well be a better start to the holiday season than Black Friday itself.

That being said, if you are going out on Black Friday, have fun, enjoy the hunt...but don't make it more than it is! Enjoy your day, regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment