Friday, April 8, 2011

Savings Bonds as Gifts

Have you checked out Savings Bonds recently? My goodness, I felt SO ignorant when I went to their site! I didn't realize that you can keep bonds electronically, plus keep track of their maturity and other information online. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself here...

I have long felt that Savings Bonds are a good idea for gifts, especially baby and children gifts. If you think about it...do babies REALLY need more toys at Birthdays and Christmas? Usually, unless it is a needy family, the answer is no. A gift that can provide for them in the future, and can be added to in the future would be a much more thoughtful gift in the long run.

If you consider, even if you buy the child a gift, also buy them a $10 or $20 (or whatever amount you wish) Savings Bond. If this is done for each occasion, the amount can really add up. Now, that is something the child will LOVE getting when they become adults! **Chances are, they are not even going to remember the toys you got them when they were little, but they will love that you got them Savings Bonds! Figure setting a goal of a $10 for Birthday, Christmas, and one other occasion a year. That is $30 in savings bonds each year. In ten years, that is $300, but there will also be interest accrued, so they will be worth more than that. It is like saving for their future.

Don't forget about grown children! Buy them a Bond for special occasions, and you are, in effect, adding or initiating their inheritance. I would urge you to just have a look at the site on Giving Savings Bonds as gifts, and give it some thought. I can't imagine you would be sorry you did!
 Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment